Nowadays, hair transplants are often performed in one big session or several sessions over several weeks or months. The big session completes the whole process collecting hair follicles from the donor site on the back of the patient’s scalp. Multiple sessions may be a better choice for some patients, such as those with medical conditions.
Most of the transplanted follicles will grow and produce hair in their new location within the next 3 to 6 months after transplantation. Some transplanted follicles do not develop in their new environment.
Then the ways to improve the survival of transplanted hair follicles and promote healing with minimal scars after transplantation has led to PRP treatment. There is a growing body of literature on the use of PRP in hair growth after hair transplant, and in many other medical and surgical specialities to improve tissue repair and healing after surgery or injury.
This article provided by Hairsure Clinic will help you to know more information about PRP and advantages of PRP after hair transplant.
PRP after hair transplant:
It might seem strange, but yes, the technique can be used sequentially. PRP makes grafted hair stronger and better. They help new follicles to survive better, which leads to new hair growth. PRP injections are also known to help prevent and treat hair loss, which is beneficial for the entire scalp, for whom no transplant procedures have been performed.
What is PRP?
PRP Platelet Rich Plasma is blood plasma containing platelet concentrations several times higher than usual in the blood. PRP is autologous, which means it comes from the patient’s own body. Patients donate their blood before surgery.
How Is PRP Made?
Platelets for PRP are obtained from the patient’s blood:
- Blood is drawn from the patient’s hand with a syringe, as is the case with any laboratory procedure.
- The tube containing the blood drawn is placed in a centrifuge and rotated for some time.
- Red and white blood cells and platelets are rotated by centrifugation and concentrated at different levels in the tube. Blood plasma that is rich in platelets is taken from the appropriate area. Platelet-rich plasma differs from norma; plasma, as it contains 4 to 8 times the number of platelets per cubic, centimetre found in normal plasma. With a little extra preparation, PRP is ready for injection.
PRP for hair transplantation:
The use of PRP during the hair transplantation process is feasible at various levels:
- Strengthening poor donors and areas that are not transplanted
- Increasing the transplanted graft yield rate
- Reducing the transactional graft rate
- Healing donor and recipient areas.
Use of calcium chloride and thrombin are usually to activate PRP in many cases before bathing the treated area. In this way, growth factors increase the yield of newly transplanted follicles.
Advantages of PRP after Hair Transplant:
The benefits of using PRP to promote hair healing and hair growth after hair transplantation focuses on three functional applications:
- Maintaining and increasing the viability of hair follicles during and after hair transplantation
- Promote and enhance repairing of tissue and healing process after hair transplantation
- To strengthen inactive hair follicles and to stimulate new hair growth.
Maintaining and increasing the viability of hair follicles:
The time between the removal of hair follicles from the scalp donor area and transplanted into the recipient area, follicles can be damaged for several reasons:
- Dehydration when the donor follicle is not wet enough between the time of removal and transplantation
- Starvation with oxygen and nutrients due to the withdrawal of blood from the blood supply during the harvest to transplantation period.
- Changes in temperature and acid/base in the follicular environment
- Revascularization injuries if the donor follicle is transplanted to the recipient site needs to be adjusted according to the blood supply.
A common approach in maintaining the viability of donor hair follicles during the transition period is to store them in a storage solution that contains PRP. It provides a protective environment with temperature, chemical balance, and an adequate supply of nutrients. Adding PRP to the storage solution:
- Increases follicular viability during and after transplantation
- Improves healing after tissue transplantation
- Increases hair growth in transplanted follicles.
PRP promotes the growth of hair follicles through the action of platelet derivative growth factors on hair follicle stem cells. Platelet growth factors cause follicular stem cells to change from a resting state to an active state, which starts the process of hair production.
Promote and enhance tissue repair and healing:
Activities that promote tissue repair and healing after injury and surgery is the release of platelet growth factors at the site of tissue injury, thereby encouraging tissue repair and healing. Individual growth factors such as PDGF platelet-derived growth factor have been used by surgeons to promote wound healing in surgical patients in hospitals. The reason for using PRP in outpatient hair transplantation is to take advantage of various growth factors related to platelets:
- To improve healing
- Minimize scarring
- Promote maximum hair growth in transplanted follicles.
One method of applying PRP to the scalp incision is to inject PRP gel into the wound during wound closure. Doctors who use this procedure describe an increase in healing at the transplant site.
To strengthen hair follicles and to stimulate new hair growth:
As we know PRP after transplantation increases in hair growth. But also Platelet growth factors can wake up inactive hair follicles and produce new hair. PRP is given after the scalp skin has been slightly injured, to induce platelets to release growth factors at the site of injury. Increased hair growth and hair diameter are seen in the next four months.
Injecting a more concentrated platelet count that has been treated with hair transplantation into the scalp accelerates the healing process and also rejuvenates the cells. Doctors at Hairsure Clinic, combine PRP with hair transplants which is a better idea because you will benefit in the long run. Also If you suffer from hair loss in an area that is not transplanted, PRP is a good idea.
PRP works against hair loss, and many people believe that PRP is a safe and effective way to reverse hair loss and stimulate new hair growth.
Talk to a doctor to see which treatment or combination of treatments is the best choice for you. If you want to learn more about PRP scalp care after a hair transplant or want to undergo the procedure, contact Hairsure clinic at 094940 20202. We can arrange a consultation for you, and if you decide to proceed, we will take care of everything. All you need to do is book an appointment. What are you waiting for contact now!