After a hair transplant, you need to follow a few post-operative instructions and tips to get the best results. Post-operative recovery is an important part of the hair transplant procedure. You can get the best results depending on how much you care about the transplanted hair during this period. Usually, the most important thing is to minimize complications and side effects after a hair transplant.
This article provided by Hairsure Clinic gives information about What are the post-operative instructions for Hair Transplant. But, before that, let us see!
What to expect after hair transplant surgery?
If you follow post-operative procedures carefully, transplants are minimally visible after a few days and go undetected after 10 to 14 days. Use drugs to prevent swelling during surgery. Even after taking medication, some people experience swelling near the forehead, usually above the nose and around the eyes. In this case, it usually goes away by the end of the first week.
After about three months, you may notice a growth in the newly transplanted hair. Usually, new hair grows for quite a long time within six months, and after a year of the procedure, you can see several hairs that have fully grown. Some real hair may fall out in the first few months after the procedure, and you may find that the hair in the transplanted area is slightly thinner. This phenomenon is temporary and common before new hair starts to grow. Therefore, this phase should be expected and not a cause for concern. Common signs of healing, pain, and some symptoms you may experience include:
- There may be bleeding from the donor area immediately after surgery. Apply the medical gauze on this area as long as needed to stop the bleeding.
- There may also be a pain in the donor and transplant area. Solpadein and Nurofen are recommended drugs that are taken alternately every three hours.
- If you experience tingling or numbness in the transplant area, it is completely normal and will go away without intervention. This can take several weeks to several months.
- The chances of infection after surgery are very small. However, if you see or suspect any sign of infection, you should contact us immediately.
The graft site tends to scab within 24 to 72 hours and usually fall off after three to ten days. Usually, the hair can also come off with a crust. That is perfectly normal. Make sure you don’t scratch or scrape the skin. This only jeopardizes the survival of the graft. If the crusts last longer than 14 days, all you need to do is apply the shampoo a little harder to the scalp. Remember that the critical period after surgery is five days after that.
Instructions after hair transplant
The hair transplant procedure is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure aiming to remove follicles from the donor area to fill in bald areas and hair loss. Post Operative instructions change depending on the number of days after hair transplant.
Instructions for the first three days
The first three days are considered to be the most critical and complicated time after a hair transplant. So let’s list the tips as follows:
- On the day of the procedure, you should not remove the bandage several hours after surgery to avoid swelling. You also shouldn’t bend over for 48 hours to avoid bleeding or swelling. Keep your head as high as possible.
- The night of the hair transplant and for the next five days, you should sleep with your head on two or three medical pillows to prevent swelling.
- Do not shampoo for 72 hours after hair transplant. At this point, the hair follicle hasn’t been repaired. So that when you wash your scalp, the hair follicles can fall out easily.
- On your next visit, which is the day after surgery, one medical staff will wash your hair and scalp. Then you need to follow the method of washing your scalp for the next ten days. Each day of the ten days has its washing method, which your hair transplant doctors prescribe.
- You may not smoke, exercise, lift weights, or do any activity until the third day of surgery. Such activity can weaken your body, causing bleeding and the loss of grafts and new hair follicles.
- Discomfort and pain may occur within the first three days. Hence, you should take medications and pain relievers prescribed by your hair transplant surgeon.
Instructions after the third day of surgery
The time after the third day is also very important, but not as important as the first three days. There are general instructions that you should follow after a hair transplant until you have new hair growth.
- It will help if you are careful when wearing and removing clothes to avoid touching or injuring the new hair follicles.
- You must adhere to the necessary medication as prescribed by your surgeon. Your doctor will also give you vitamins for repairing new hair follicles. This vitamin speeds up the healing process and stimulates the growth of new hair follicles.
- Medicines or blood-thinning drinks such as aspirin, green tea, alcohol, and Arabic coffee should not be consumed for at least ten days after the procedure. Blood thinners can thin the blood, cause bleeding, or prevent blood clots from forming and stopping blood flow to the scalp. That way, new hair follicles will not grow.
- After three days of hair transplantation, scabies appears on the scalp around the transplanted graft. After finding these small crusts, do not touch your scalp, or peel or scratch the crusts on your nails, so as not to damage the new hair follicles. This scab will fall off on its own within ten days after washing your hair.
- During the recovery period, exposure to direct sunlight is most damaging because UV rays contain UV rays, damaging the new hair follicles. Therefore, you should wear a hat after being exposed to direct sunlight for at least three weeks after hair transplant.
- You will have itching during the recovery period, this is a normal feeling at this time, and you will feel the need to rub the scalp. However, you shouldn’t scrub your scalp as scrubbing can cause serious problems and is more likely to damage and destroy your new hair follicles.
- On day ten, you pass through the sensitive phase and begin a new post-operative recovery and care. At this stage, gently wash your scalp and hair twice a week with a special medicated shampoo prescribed by your cosmetic surgeon. You will use warm water when washing your hair. You have to keep your head away from dust and rain and keep it as clean as possible.
- The most important advice is to avoid swimming in a pool for a month or in the sea for at least three months. Swimming pools contain chlorine, and seawater contains harmful chemicals that can cause inflammation of your scalp.
- Within a few months, your new hair will start growing for some time and then fall out within six months. Don’t worry; These are normal results after a hair transplant. Your natural hair follicles will grow strong and continue to grow until you understand the results you want.
- During the recovery period, you should not use chemical creams or shampoos on your scalp. It is advisable to use medicated shampoos and creams as prescribed by your doctor.
Patience is important in hair transplantation. Therefore, results should not be expected for six months. If you have any issues or questions, please call the Hairsure Clinic at +91-40- 42 02 02 02.