All surgeries present some kind of risk. From a small surgery of mole removal to the biggest and most complicated ones, risk is constant. For a patient, more than anything else, they would want to know if the condition they have can be treated and how much money would it take. That is the end game.
Some patients are more curious to know about the procedure and risks. A surgeon should make their patients aware of the risks and also any kind of care which needs to be taken before the operation actually takes place. If those preoperative measures are not taken, that in itself might present a risk to the procedure.
What is a Hair Transplant Surgery?
A hair transplant surgery is done to replace the bald patches on a person’s head with hair taken from another part of the body. These areas, called the donor areas are the back of the head in most cases and sometimes from other parts of the body in case, the density of hair is less in the back of the head. A hair transplant surgery is a cosmetic procedure to grow hair in the areas of male pattern baldness. But, with increasing cases of hair loss in females, there are hair transplant surgeries for females as well.
A hair transplant surgery is not recommended for everyone as not all people suffer from conditions which will require a hair transplant surgery or conditions that the surgery can resolve. Some of them are:
- Hair fall due to deficiency in protein
- Hair fall or hair loss due to stress
- Hair fall due to the usage of medication and pharmaceutical drugs
- Hair fall due to other conditions due to sickness
- Hair fall due to pregnancy
- Seasonal hair fall
It’s only when there are signs of baldness is it suggested that one opt for a hair transplant surgery. There are two types of hair transplant surgeries. They are:
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): In this kind of a hair transplant surgery, a surgeon plucks 4-6 strands of hair from the back and using micro blades cuts the hair strands into multiple grafts. These grafts are then implanted into the scalp using multiple thin needles to puncture the hair follicles to initiate new hair growth.
- Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT): This is the conventional and the oldest type of transplantation, where a strip of skin is taken from the side or the back of the hair and the single strip of skin with hair is cut into numerous parts, using microneedles and these are inserted into the bald patches.
What are the Precautions before a Hair Transplant Surgery?
- In case of Follicular Unit Transplantation surgery, prior to one month of the surgery, the patient needs to massage the scalp to enhance the flexibility of the hair, which will be advised by the doctor, depending on the individual’s case.
- If the doctors asks a patient to stop continuing with a particular form of medication, it is to be followed religiously.
- It is advised to patients to not consume any form of alcoholic beverages, three hours prior to the surgery. Alcohol has an adverse effect at the time of the hair transplant surgery.
- Avoid smoking once you have decided to undergo Hair Transplantation.
- wear comfortable clothing on the day of your procedure (Avoid T-shirt/ Baniyan which are usually worn above the head, wear a shirt with buttons)
- A mild sedative is given to the patient before the hair transplant surgery. This is to provide relief to the nerves before a surgery.
- Take the prescribed medication on the day of surgery without fail, it may contain an Antibiotic which helps reducing bacterial load during the procedure.
- if you have dandruff, use an anti dandruff shampoo for 2 weeks/ as prescribed by your doctor.
- if you plan to undergo BHT(Body Hair Transplant) wet shave the beard 3 days prior and chest area 4 days prior to the surgery (not trimming)
- If these precautions and preoperative measures are not taken, it can meddle with the results of the hair transplant surgery. Unsuccessful hair transplant surgeries can occur due to ignorance from the patient’s side as well and to prevent a correctional surgery, it is very important to follow all the measures mentioned by the surgeon to the point. We, at Hairsure render the best services under the able guidance of the city’s best surgeons.
- About The Clinic: HairSure is one of the leading hair clinics at Habsiguda, Hyderabad and we have the best hair transplant surgeons in Hyderabad practicing at HairSure. Trichologists at the HairSure clinic are experts in hair transplantation and PRP treatment etc. Two of our leading doctors are known to be the best trichologists in Hyderabad.