A great deal of attention is paid on identifying and fixing the factors that affect the survival of grafts after hair transplantation. The significant factors that influence the transplanted graft include the patient’s health, characteristics of the hair, and the operative procedures. Usually, the healing process or the time for the transplanted grafts to settle is around 8-10 days.
You need to be very cautious for the first two weeks after hair transplantation. This is because grafts are not fixated immediately after transplantation.
- After 2 to 5 days, if any bandages are placed, they can be removed, but don’t touch the grafts.
- Daily you can wash your hair gently without touching with hands using clean water.
- After two weeks, you can wash your hair regularly and return to your daily routine.
- After 10 to 14 days, if you have any non-dissolvable stitches, they are removed in case of FUT.
- After few weeks, thetransplanted grafts will fall out eventually, and new hair starts to grow back later.
- After 6 months you can see that new hair starts to appear.
- After 12 to 18 months, you can observe full results, i.e., complete hair growth.
If you find anything unusual like bleeding, infection, severe itching, etc. during recovery, consult your doctor immediately.
Do all transplanted hair grafts grow?
Grafts falling out is extremely rare within the first few days after hair transplantation. Often, patients think that the hair that falls out after a transplant is the grafted hair. Studies reported that survival rates of grafts are about 90% to well over 100%. However, a few doctors reach 100% graft survival when performed in ideal circumstances. In other cases, graft survival might drop well below 100%, according to many experienced hair transplant surgeons.
Factors affecting hair graft survival:
Most of the time, hair transplantation and graft survival go smooth because hair transplant experts choose ideal candidates for transplantation. However, the factors that affect the survival of grafts are:-
- Donor scalp issues
- Surgery day conditions
- physical damage to the grafts
- Surgical technique used
- Blunt trauma
- Ischemia-reperfusion injury
- Graft storage issues.
Aftercare tips for hair transplantation
After a few days of surgery, you can wash your hair. But use only mild shampoos as suggested by the doctor for the first few weeks. Here are some measures provided by our hair transplant experts in Hyderabad.
- Some people can return to work in about 3 days, while some may take more than a week.
- Don’t brush or comb on your new grafts for about 3 weeks.
- Don’t wear hats or tie hankies or pullover shirts and jackets over the new grafts until everything has returned to normal.
- You should cut down exercise at least the first month to reduce scarring.
Don’t worry when some hairs fall out; it’s part of the process. The transplanted hair grafts might not grow seamlessly, and may not match the surrounding hair for a few months.
How many grafts do I need for a hair transplant?
At Hair Sure hair transplant clinic in Hyderabad, we maintain a high quality of transplant hair. The number of grafts that need to be transplanted is based on the bald area. However, our experts say that the maximum number of grafts that can be transplanted in one day are around approximately 4,000 for FUT or FUE. On average, in each hair graft, a person has 2 hairs. This is nearly 8,000 hairs in FUT and FUE hair transplant.
Will I Lose Hair Grafts After a Hair Transplant?
Most people fear they will go bald even after a hair transplant. Typically, after five months of hair transplantation, the transplanted grafts shed out, providing space for new hairs to grow in. Shedding is a natural process and part of the hair growth cycle, and this is good for transplanted hair. However, in some people, the existing hair is sensitive to dihydrotestosterone(the hormone responsible for hair loss) resulting in thinning and hair loss. After some years, the non transplanted hair loses, and you will go bald if you do not follow preventive measures. Want to know more about hair transplantation in Hyderabad, consult our expert hair transplant surgeons in Hyderabad.
Your surgeon will plan the design of hair transplantation and ensure that the hair looks natural as time progresses. A hair transplant surgeon will explain how likely the results will be based on your health conditions. For more information, consult our hair transplant experts at our hair transplant clinic in Hyderabad. We perform all types of hair transplant procedures with 100% success rate. Our hair transplant surgeons are having 10+ years of experience with proven results.