On average, individuals shed 50 to 100 hairs from their scalp daily, which are in the telogen phase of the hair growth cycle. This shedding is usually unnoticed, as new hairs continuously grow to replace the shedding ones. Both men and women experience some degree of hair loss daily, but it’s important to distinguish between normal and excessive hair loss. Men’s hair loss is influenced by genetics, hormonal changes, age, and individual health conditions, and does not fall out or disappear when water comes into contact.
Wet hair doesn’t cause hair loss in both males and females, but certain behaviours or conditions can contribute to hair problems or worsen existing issues.
Here are some factors to consider about wet hair loss in men:
- Hair fragility: When hair is damp, it becomes more brittle and vulnerable to damage. This increased fragility can make it seem like more hair is being lost when combing or styling wet hair. Hair is more fragile when it’s wet. Pulling or tugging on wet hair can cause it to break more easily. It’s advisable to handle wet hair gently and use a wide-toothed comb or a brush designed for wet hair.
- Scalp health: A damp scalp can be more prone to fungal or bacterial infections if not dried properly. Keeping the scalp clean and dry is essential for maintaining overall hair health.
- Hairstyling: Some hairstyles or hair accessories used on wet hair, such as tight ponytails or hair ties with metal parts, can pull on the hair shaft and potentially lead to hair loss over time if they are too tight or worn frequently.
- Chemical treatment: Chemical treatments like perms or relaxers are often performed on wet hair, and if done incorrectly or too frequently, they can damage the hair and lead to breakage or hair loss.
- Underlying causes: Hair loss in males (and females) can be caused by various factors, including genetics (male pattern baldness), hormonal changes, medical conditions, medication side effects, and stress. Wet hair is not a direct cause of these conditions but may make existing problems more noticeable or worsen them if not cared for properly.
- Hair elasticity: When hair is wet, it becomes more elastic and flexible. It makes it more susceptible to stretching and breakage. As you comb or brush your wet hair or towel-dry it, you may notice more hair coming out due to this increased fragility.
- Detangling: Wet hair can become tangled more easily than dry hair, especially if you have long or curly hair. When you detangle your wet hair, it’s natural to see some hair come out as knots are undone. It’s essential to be gentle during this process to minimize hair breakage.
- Shedding accumulation: You continuously shed hair as part of the natural hair growth cycle. However, you may not notice this shedding as much when your hair is dry because the loose hairs tend to stick to your other hair strands. Wet hair releases shed follicles, highlighting them and giving the impression of more hair loss.
- Brushing and combing: When people brush or comb their wet hair, they may inadvertently pull on the hair more forcefully than when it’s dry. This can lead to more hair being dislodged or broken during the grooming process.
- Product residue: Hair products like gels, mousses, or conditioners can create a slippery surface on wet hair, making it easier for loose hairs to slide out when you handle your hair.
- Towel drying: Vigorously rubbing wet hair with a towel to dry it can cause friction and damage to the hair cuticle, potentially leading to breakage.
- Tight hairstyle: If wet hair is pulled back into tight hairstyles like ponytails or braids, it can increase the risk of hair breakage and loss.
- Heat styling: Using heat styling tools like hairdryers or straighteners on wet hair without proper precautions can cause hair damage and breakage.
Hair loss when wet is usually temporary and related to handling damp hair, not permanent conditions like male pattern baldness. Excessive or prolonged hair loss should be considered, as it could indicate underlying issues. If concerned about hair loss affecting hair health and appearance, consult a dermatologist or healthcare professional for proper evaluation and guidance on hair care practices and treatments.
It is essential to maintain hair properly in order to prevent damage and ensure its health:
- Use gentle shampoo and conditioner that are suitable for the type of hair you have.
- Avoid excessive heat styling or harsh chemical treatments.
- Be gentle when handling wet hair, and avoid tight hairstyles that can pull on the hair.
- Use a low heat setting on your hair dryer or let your hair air dry.
- Eat a balanced diet and consider supplements if you have nutritional deficiencies.
- Use relaxation methods, exercise, and enough sleep to manage your stress.
Hair loss is a gradual process influenced by genetics, hormonal changes, and overall health. Male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia) is a common genetic cause of hair loss in men, typically resulting in a receding hairline and thinning at the crown. If you suspect excessive hair loss, it’s advisable to consult a healthcare professional or dermatologist. They can assist in identifying the underlying reason and suggest suitable treatments or lifestyle modifications.
Early intervention is often more effective in managing hair loss, so seeking guidance as soon as you notice significant changes is advisable. If a man experiences substantial hair loss, it’s crucial to consult a healthcare professional or dermatologist to determine the underlying cause and explore potential treatment options.
At HairSure, we are dedicated to a policy of offering patients unmatched services. At HairSure Advanced Hair Transplant Clinic, all of your hair-related worries can be expertly resolved, and you can rest assured that your smiles won’t flinch again. Enter HairSure and exit with the desired appearance.
HairSure can assist in determining the precise reason for hair loss and offer suitable treatment solutions that are suited to the requirements of the individual. Always consult a medical expert when you have questions about your health. Always consult a medical expert when you have questions about your health.
We at HairSure, are committed to providing matchless services to all our patients. All your concerns regarding hair problems can be flawlessly sorted at HairSure Advanced Hair Transplant Clinic, guaranteeing that you will be left with smiles that won’t fall again. Walk into HairSure and walk back with the look that you desire. Call 040 42020202 / 9494020202 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book your consultation. Visit our website, Hair Transplant Clinic, to know more.