What is Hair Transplant?
Hair Transplant is an elective surgical procedure in which the dermatologist plucks one to several hairs from the back or side of your scalp and implants in the bald sections to restore the lost hair.
Are there different types of hair transplants?
Hair Transplantation is of two types. They are:
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE): In this procedure, your surgeon will remove the entire strip of hair from a donor area and places it into the recipient areas using smaller incisions. It is suitable for people with larger bald sections.
- Follicular unit transplantation (FUT): In this procedure, your surgeon will pluck the hair follicles individually and place them in a thinning/balding areas of the recipient.
Who Can Have Hair Transplant?
Individuals who are willing to improve their appearance and self-confidence can go for hair transplant surgery. However, the following are the people who can get benefitted from Hair Transplant Surgery:
- Males suffering from severe pattern baldness
- Women with thinning hair
- Individuals suffering from hair loss following the burn or injury
What happens during a hair transplant?
In follicular unit transplantation (FUT) procedure, your surgeon makes a large incision to cut off the tiny patches of skin from the back or side of your scalp. He will then close the incisions and separate these patches into smaller sections using lens and implants the same in the bald areas to achieve natural looking results.
In follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure, your surgeon will make tiny incisions in the bald area and place the hair follicles that are plucked individually from the donor’s area. Your surgeon can place thousands of hairs in one treatment session. You will have bandages for one week following the surgery.
What Should Be Done Before Hair Transplant?
Hair Transplant is a single permanent treatment but is a delicate medical procedure. Before the surgery, you have to follow certain instructions to achieve the best outcomes. The pre-operative instructions for Hair Transplant include:
Ten Days Before the Procedure
- Avoid taking medications that contain aspirin, vitamin E
- Stop consuming alcohol
- Don’t get over-exposed to the sun
Three Days Before the Surgery
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications
- If you have any grey hair, then get coloured your hair
- If you are allergic to any drugs or medications, bring it to your doctor’s notice
One day before the surgery:
- Do not follow the process of hair spa
- Wash your hair twice with a shampoo suggested by your doctor
- Make arrangements for transportation because you will be receiving a sedation
What is the Cost of Hair Transplant Procedure?
The cost of transplant procedure depends on several factors which include:
- The total number of grafts transplanted: The cost will largely influence by the number of grafts to be transplanted. If you want to get more grafts transplanted, then you should pay more for it.
- Place of the procedure: The location where the process has been carried out is also another significant factor that determines the overall cost of hair transplant surgery. Do not compromise on cost because second rate hair transplant can have serious, negative and long-term outcomes.
- The reputation of the surgeon: The ability and experience of the surgeon can determine the success rate of the treatment. Your surgeon’s reputation is imperative and can influence the overall cost of the hair transplant procedure.
- Transplant Technique used: Different techniques has a different cost. However, the FUE cost more than the FUT because of the time and recovery period.
Can I Have Hair Loss after the Transplant?
Hair Transplant surgery involves multiple healing stages during one of which you may experience some temporary hair loss. You may notice this temporary hair loss 3-4 weeks after the surgery. It is mainly because of damage to the follicles that is caused by rare medical conditions.
Can Breastfeeding Women Have a Hair Transplant Surgery?
It is advised for the breastfeeding to wait until one year following the delivery because they may have postpartum shedding during this period. This shedding is due to the fluctuation of hormones. Hair Transplant surgery during this period can cause a few issues and further affect breast milk.
When Can I See The Results?
Most patients experience hair growth after 6-9 months of the surgery. In some instances, it may take more than 12 months. However, your surgeon may suggest some medications that can help you to achieve the best possible outcomes.
How long will the procedure take?
The duration of hair transplant surgery depends on the number of hair follicles to be implanted and the technique used during the procedure.
Is it painful?
The hair transplant procedure is usually performed under local anaesthesia. The type of anaesthesia to be used depends on your health condition. However, you may experience some minor pain for a few minutes while anaesthetizing the bald areas.
How many hair transplant procedures will I need?
The number of procedures is required to achieve personally desired goals. However, the number of procedures needed varies from person to person and degree of hair loss.
Can I smoke?
Avoid smoking immediately after the surgery as nicotine is not good for the hair and causes vasoconstriction.
Do I need to avoid any food?
No need. You can eat anything you want from the second onwards. However, consider foods that contain protein.
Can Diabetics undergo the hair transplant procedure?
Yes, they can undergo hair transplantation procedure when their sugar level is under control or normal.
About The Clinic:
HairSure is one of the leading hair clinics at Habsiguda, Hyderabad and we have the best hair transplant surgeons in Hyderabad practising at HairSure. At HairSure clinic, we have a team of experts in hair transplantation and PRP treatments. Our clinic has been rated one of the best for all hair transplant procedures and treatment for various hair problems. We assure you our services will bring you smiles.