The Covid-19 pandemic has not only attacked every aspect of our lives but also disrupted health care. As people are at their homes in anticipation of the end of the pandemic, many treatments and procedures considered non-essential cannot be done, which is problematic to those who need it. Hair transplantation is one such procedure. Before proceeding, it is important to mention that the International Society for Hair Reconstructive Surgery (ISHRS), a worldwide non-profit medical association, believes that hair transplant procedures can be safely continued during a pandemic, provided the clinic takes the necessary precautions as per the guidelines.
Hairsure clinic says that although Covid-19 has changed everything in many ways, the safety of our patients has always been the driving force in our practice for preventing the transmission of this virus. The safety of patients, doctors and staff, during a pandemic is of utmost importance. Therefore, if you are considering hair transplantation surgery during this time, follow these safety precautions.
Precautions to follow:
Monitor your health:
People over the age of 60 or with comorbidities and pre-existing conditions such as asthma, cerebrovascular disease (affecting the blood vessels), heart or lung disease, kidney disease, diabetes, and life-threatening conditions are relatively more vulnerable to the virus. Therefore, consider hair transplants during this time only if you are younger than 60 years and do not have any of the previous conditions. If you are over 60 years old, it is better to wait a little longer for a hair transplant. If you are unsure whether to have a transplant or not, talk to the surgeons at Hairsure Clinic and schedule an online consultation. You can talk about your medical history and whether you can go for a transplant now or wait.
It is important to follow all government guidelines such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and wearing masks. Even if you are going to have a hair transplant, you should wear a mask except during the actual procedure. You should also ensure that you wash or disinfect your hands, keep your distance from other patients in the waiting room and the staff. Have fewer conversations with others.
Choose a clinic that meets strict COVID guidelines.
When choosing a clinic for your procedure, be sure to follow strict guidelines. Any clinic that does not follow these precautions should be avoided. When choosing a clinic, check the following:
- Ask if the clinic performs temperature checks for patients and staff and tracks their Covid history.
- Ensure the clinic adheres to social distancing norms even during consultations or in the waiting room.
- Ensure that the doctor uses the appropriate equipment or personal protective equipment (PPE) kit during the procedure.
- Check with the clinic to ensure that it is regularly cleaned, disinfected and sterilized.
- Ensure that the surgeon performs the procedure himself and is not performed by a technician.
- Ensure that staff are trained on Covid related protocols for operations.
Travel for a transplant
If you are travelling to the city for this procedure, make sure you always wear a mask and stay at least two meters away from anyone. Have a disinfectant-ready and watch for signs of disease. When taking a flight, follow all airline and airport instructions such as Mandatory checks, etc. Tell your clinic about your travel plans and get advice on where to stay after the procedure.
Although it is safe to receive a transplant during this time, it should be done very carefully and safely. Find a reputable and experienced surgeon and make sure they follow all Covid guidelines. You can raise any of the above concerns with them during the consultation, which can be done online.
Hair Sure clinic follows the below precautions:
As a hair transplant clinic, we follow:
- Screening for COVID by carrying out a series of tests, including a temperature check: Asymptomatic patients can continue their appointments. People showing signs are advised to seek medical help on virtual visits while managing their symptoms. The clinic also encourages online consultation for people who fall into the high-risk category.
- Limit attendance to one person per patient per day: Social distancing and other additional measures are taken to minimize physical contact.
- Use of HEPA filters in all operating rooms: HEPA filters can purify indoor air every 2-3 minutes. This way, there is always fresh air in the operating room. After each hair transplant procedure, a microbial lamp that is effective against microbes will be turned on.
For more information on precautions in times of COVID-19 for successful Hair Transplantation, contact Hairsure Clinic at 094940 20202.